14 September 2007

All in a Day's Work


Amusing anecdote from work: A little boy came up to me yesterday--he couldn't have been more than 6 or 7--and he wanted books about soldiers and war. I asked if he wanted stories about soldiers, books about a soldier's experiences, arms and uniforms--your basic reference interview. His grandmother chimed in and said, "It doesn't have to be age appropriate. It just needs pictures." Right then, Eyewitness Books, here we come. I found the Eyewitness books for World War I and World War II, determined that he wasn't interested in Colonial or Civil War soldiers, and sent him happily on his way. As they headed for the reading area, and I contemplated the eternal appeal of guns and trenches, I heard his little voice say, "I want to sit on the Elmo chair!" Now, I won't say that my faith in humanity was restored by that comment, but I loved the image of a cherubic youth reading about man's inhumanity to man while sitting in a red, fuzzy vibrating chair that laughs.

No comments:

Add This

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin