28 February 2009

Musical Theater



I never thought I'd get the chance to combine this blog with my love of pop music, but at last I can! The BBC reports that the Pet Shop Boys, one of my all-time favorite bands, is writing a ballet based on a Hans Christian Andersen story. I've not yet been able to find a source that says which story they are using, so watch this space. Of course, the PSB have shown themselves to be quite literary in the past, naming one of their songs Can You Forgive Her, which Trollope enthusiasts will recognize as the title of the first Palliser novel (and PSB singer Neil Tennet mentioned that he was reading the book at the time of the song's writing.) Andersen himself is no stranger to adaptations in other mediums. It sounds like a match made in Heaven!

No comments:

Add This

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin