16 January 2010

Meeting M. T. Anderson, and other thrills from ALA Midwinter

Well, it's been an exciting couple of days at the American Library Association's Midwinter Meeting. What have I done? Only rubbed shoulders with librarians, writers, publishers, and bloggers. Only collected  about 3 dozen ARCS by the likes of Mitali Perkins, Karen Cushman, Neil Shusterman, Jarrett Krosoczka, Melissa Marr, Kathryn Laskey, Alice Hoffman, and M.T. Anderson. Oh, and did I mention that I met Mr. Anderson and talked Pals in Peril with him? (insert fangirl *squee!* here.) Not only did we talk Pals in Peril, but when I compared Jasper Dash to Tristram Shandy, he didn't look at me like I had two heads.

I got to hear Al Gore deliver a breakdown of his newest book, and was he ever impressive. I sat in on the Notable Books Committee, which was akin to sitting in on a seminar wrap-up of the best books of the year for children. I bought an Unshelved t-shirt. And I got my picture taken with this guy, who goes by the name of Andrew Clements.


It's been a great weekend so far. And it's not over yet! There's still the YMA award announcements to look forward to on Monday, and the opportunity to meet my editor from School Library Journal. It will be so nice to put a face to the emails. Rock on!

6 comments:

Jan von Harz said...

Kara, I am jealous. It sound as if you are having a wonderful time, meeting MT Anderson, and scoring the much coveted ARCs you go girl. Would love to meet Neil Schusterman, loved Unwind, definitely one of my all time favs.

said...

You lucky dogg! That sounds like so much fun.

And have I bothered to whine about the fact that you are extremely dangerous to my TBR. It teeters on the brink of a landslide because of you.

P~

Sandra Stiles said...

I do so envy you. However, I know if I keep checking back you will be reviewing books you picked up there. Titles I can then add to my ever growing TBR pile

Anonymous said...

Very cool. Admittedly I haven't read any of MT Anderson's books, but I just finished a collection of short stories called "Geektastic" to which he contributed.

I must admit that I spent a good amount of time refreshing the ALA website in anticipation of hearing results for the awards...

Anonymous said...

Also, forgot to mention, I'm a huge fan of Andrew Clements's "The School Story."

MotherReader said...

A couple of years ago I stalked M.T. Anderson at ALA until he finished his conversation with an important publisher type person to make him chat with little ole me. He was charming. Glad that you had a good time.

Add This

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin