25 June 2010

Literary Summer Camps--sign me up!

After reading this article in Publisher's Weekly about camps based on the Percy Jackson and Ranger's Apprentice series, it set me to thinking about which books I think would make exciting summer camps. Among fantasy series, there are plenty of contenders: Harry Potter, the Narnia books, the Lord of the Rings, Larklight (endless cyberpunk possibilities!) But what about in the real world--which series or books would be worth living for a week? Here are a few suggestions:

Amelia Bedelia's Super-Literal-Literary-Camp (okay, not really. I would never survive such an experience.)
Fancy Nancy's Stupendous Coterie Experience
Harold's Draw-Your-Own Purple Camp

and for older kids:

Jack and Annie's Time Travel Camp
Camp Noisy Village
Little Camp on the Prairie
Camp Underpants
Encyclopedia Brown's Mystery Camp (could also work for the Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew.)

The possibilities are really endless! I'd love to hear any other ideas, just for fun!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have actually considered starting my own Harry Potter summer camp. Sort of like the Baby-Sitters Club girls' summer camp they started. But I don't know where to find the little children or how to make their parents trust me. :-/

Kara Schaff Dean said...

Perhaps if you worked in conjunction with your local library or independent bookseller? They could bring extra support and parental credibility to such an ambitious project.

Thanks for stopping by!

The Bumbles said...

Oh - I so want to go to Harold's Purple Crayon Camp!

How about Ferdinand's Camp - where you get to lounge out in the meadow under a tree all day with flowers in your hair?

Kara Schaff Dean said...

A Ferdinand camp sounds absolutely idyllic! And that's no bull (har, har!)

Clearly, I need a pun camp ;)

Add This

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin