04 June 2009

You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Week 1




So the first week of participation in the Well-Read Child's reading meme breaks down as such:


You Read to Me:
* Alice the Fairy by David Shannon
* Sam Starts School by Barbara Taylor Cork, illus. by Nicola Smee
I Read to You:
* Alfie and the Big Boys by Shirley Hughes
* Beckoning Cat by Koko Nishizuka, illus by Rosanne Litzinger
* Chicken Cheeks by Micahel Ian Black; illus by Kevin Hawkes
* Cow That Was the Best Moo-ther By Andy Cutbill, illus by Russell Ayto
* Incredible Painting of Felix Clousseau by Jon Agee
* My Red Balloon by Eve Bunting, illus. by Kay Life
* Put it on the List! by Kristen Darbyshire
* Retired Kid by Jon Agee
* Tough Chicks by Cece Meng, illus. by Melissa Suber

Looks like I did most of the reading this week! The breakdown didn't seem so unbalanced at the time, but never mind! My daughter and I are unapologetic picture book fans, so even though she has moved on to chapter books for her personal reading, bedtime is still picture book time. This week's star read was Touch Chicks, with its story of three newly hatched chicks not content to simply loaf around the farm and be cute, as chicks are supposed to do. Honorable mention goes to Alfie and the Big Boys. This long-running series continues to charm with its quiet wisdom and "every-child" protagonist. It seems that Alfie, like Charlie Brown, will never age but stay a winsome preschooler for eternity. And that's okay with us!

4 comments:

Anamaria (bookstogether) said...

Oh, I love Alfie! This must be a new one? Or at least new to me. Will look for it now!

Kara Schaff Dean said...

Hi--thanks for the comment. "Alfie and the Big Boys" is new to this country but was previously released in the UK. And I saw in this month's BT Books For Growing Minds that Shirley Hughes has a new counting book coming out in July. That went straight into my shopping cart!

pussreboots said...

I don't recognize any of the titles but they all look entertaining. My list is here.

Kara Schaff Dean said...

Hi Puss--I've checked out your list and left you a comment too :) Our list is a combination of new titles and old favorites. You'll probably see some of the same titles turning up each week....

Add This

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin