12 June 2009

Coming Soon to a Theater Near You

This must be the summer of picture book adaptations making their way to the big screen. Last time I went to the pictures I saw a preview for Where the Wild Things Are. This afternoon, as I prepared to enjoy "Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian" (recommended, by the way,) I was treated to the preview for Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, based on the classic picture book by Judi and Ron Barrett. This is one of those books that I know by reputation only--unbelievably, I've never read it! However, after a quick stop at the library on the way home, that situation will soon be rectified. You can look for it on the "Read to Me" list later this week......

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs Movie Trailer | /Film

Posted using ShareThis

5 comments:

Sagey said...

We love Cloudy with a Chance but I just don't understand how they can turn a picture book into a full length movie. I had planned on skipping Where the Wild Things Are, but Cloudy intrigues me. :-)

Kara Schaff Dean said...

I can think of at least three picture books which have already been turned into films: Jumanji, Zathura, and The Polar Express (all written by Chris Van Allsburg, interestingly enough.) I have not seen any of them, so I don't know how successful they were (or weren't) as film. I thought "Cloudy" looked good before I realized the connection to the book, and my 8 yo was laughing away, so I think it is one that we will be going to see.

Anonymous said...

Greetings!

Daughter (8) and I saw the preview for "Cloudy" before seeing "Up" last weekend. She was a little skeptical the movie would do justice to the book. But I expect she won't pass up a chance to see it.

And great blog, by the way! I'm sure I'll find ideas here for my daughter's summer reading.

Kara Schaff Dean said...

Thanks for the kind words, Todd! :)

pussreboots said...

My son has read Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and loves the book. I haven't read the book yet. My son says it looks interesting but he'd rather wait for the DVD. So there's one 6 year-old's opinion for you. :)

Add This

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin